Journey to Baha

Archive for the ‘Pre-Op’ Category

We have a surgery date! Reed will be getting his shiny, new post placed on August 14, 2009! Had I known it was this easy, I would have thrown my hissy fit months ago, lol. Ah well, they’re rushing us through because of the mix-up so he can have his post placed before school starts. As it turned out, the surgical coordinator was told to proceed with the BAHA like she would process for a cochlear implant. She was waiting for paperwork from Audiology that was never coming. I called this morning and put my foot down, demanding to know what the holdup was and she got everything she needed (including an instant decision from Molina Healthcare) within a few hours. So we are on the calendar for a week from Friday. Reed is over-the-moon thrilled. I thought his face might explode from the grin he gave me when I told him. 😉 At this point, I’m thinking he should be getting the new BP-100, which is the silver lining in the long wait.

Advertisements

Just when I was so anxious for everything to proceed, now I’m hoping it takes a little longer while I make a decision.

I have recently heard reports of a new, and possibly better, processor coming on the market later this year. As I understand it, this competing device will be fully programmable and quite a bit smaller than the BAHA we were previously decided on (the only one currently available). Unfortunately, it isn’t on the market just yet, so information is sparse, making it difficult to decide if we should wait for the new one or go ahead as planned with the exisitng choice. Argh!

I guess I should just be glad I found out about this now, instead of AFTER his surgery. 😉

Time for a status update:

There is nothing to update.

There, that was easy. It’s not as simple as all that, though. I was getting impatient, so I called the Surgical Coordinator to check our progress. While she hedged adamantly that these are only estimates and there is absolutely nothing within her power to keep to this timetable, it was nice to get a general idea of how much longer we’ll probably be waiting. Apparently, we are right on schedule and things should be headed to the insurance company for approval soon (hopefully within the next couple weeks).

  1. It takes 2-3 months for the Surgical Coordinator to receive the full workup and reports from the Audiology department. (this is where we are now)
  2. It then takes another 2-3 months to receive insurance approval from most insurers.

I was hoping the hospital would be able to do things a little quicker on their end, but overall I want it done right so we can hopefully be approved on the first try and not have to apeal. It’s nice to have something to look forward to and she’s promised to call and let me know when it goes to the insurance for approval.

It’s an exciting day around here. We’ve just returned from the ENT where we started the ball rolling on Reed’s BAHA surgery. Turns out my neurotic need to have all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed when he was younger has come in handy. His CT from several years ago was what put us over the top for a decision today. His CT was normal, so his hearing would likely be helped by the implant. I filled out the surgical boarding forms in the office and now we just have to wait for insurance approval and an OR date!

Reed was so excited when the Dr. said he’d be a candidate for one, he was lobbying to get it done today! He apparently thought we were there to get it done, not ask about it. He was looking around the room for the drill, wondering if he’d be home in time for lunch. He was quite disappointed when I told him it probably wouldn’t be for at least a few weeks. I’m not sure how long to expect the approval process to take, but it would be great if he could be activated before Daddy takes the boys on their trip to New York City in September. Before school starts after Labor Day would be even better.

Tags: